Monday, March 10, 2008

Week 3 Online Libraries and Databases

The following 10 topics are areas that can be found in the ECU Library website.

~ Student; Which then takes to you the next page which you can then proceed to many different areas of the site one being ENDNOTE SOFTWARE. If you proceed to Endnote then it gives you an outline on what it does.

~ Websites;
I went through this area and found a list of different resources that the librarians use. I followed it through Accounting which then opened a huge number of different areas of Accounting around the world. This website will be very useful in finding information that I wouldn't be able to find through Google.

~ Document Delivery;
This site gives information on how to get resources from other
libraries and the process of doing this.

~ AirPAC;
Tells you how you can access the site form your mobile phone. It just
gives you the basics not the full information.

~ Journal Titles;
This opened up a page, where you can type in the title search in which you are looking for. You can chose which campus you want to find your information or do a larger search if the campus you chose doesn't have it.

~ ECU Library;
Gives you the basic information on opening times, different types of services and contacts and corporate information.

~ SIMO;
This is access to current students information in relation to their timetables, classes and fees.

~ Academic Tip Sheet;
This is a useful site that will be able to give me help when it comes to writing essays and how they are expected to be presented.

~ Journal Articles;
This takes me to the database area, which will be able to help me find articles and books in my field of choice.

~ Student Information;
This is where I can access any information I need about my classes or what my results are or if I need to pay my fees. Anything I need to know is on this page.



Part 2 Global Warming: http://www.cnie.org/NLE/CRSreports/BriefingBooks/Climate/ebgcc7.cfm
This website hasn't been updated sine 2001 but it has information backdating to 1997 on the impact of Global Warming.

Part 3
The next topic was to go to the Medlineplus site and find a condition or drug which I am interested in. I went to the condition for Hepatitis A. Recently a friend went to South America and contracted this disease whilst he was there. He is now home and has surgery for a severe liver disease and and has been in hospital for 2 weeks. This is information should be able to help him fully understand what the disease it and how it occurred.

Summary
Today's class has given me information that Online libraries and Databases have 24/7 access, which makes doing my work far more easier, that I am not restricted to what time I can find the information I need.
How beneficial are these site to me? Well the fact that they are accessible to me anywhere is a huge benefit. Getting an understanding on how to use this information to help with study is definitely an advantage.
Reading 1
The reading explains the different ways to research the internet, and that Google isn't always the best option. Writing more specific words related to the topic will define the search to the more important pieces of information, and they hopefully wont be doubled up.